Believe it or not, there are four skills you need to know, that are quite sufficient, for a person to live out of the city, in the woods, in the jungle, in the desert … In fact anywhere. All other knowledge in life is fun, a hobby, an interest, a job or it turns out sometimes, eventually, stress.
Skills of survival water
These four skills concern:
- Fire and,
It is clear as day that food, water, heat and a secure place (shelter) are needed for life. We need all of them to protect us from the influence of the outside world. However, for multiday staying in nature and wildlife, mere confirmation of the previous facts is still not enough.
Knowledge of “managing” these elements is required.
Skills of survival Water in nature
For independent living in nature it is necessary to have access to drinking water.
This can be in the form of springs, wells, rivers but also various types of plants, roots and sometimes animals.
The boundaries of human endurance may not be limited by the spirit. Body makes them.
Through numerous studies, but also through concrete examples throughout history, science has calculated the general limits – which are the rule. Although, there are some discrepancies and individual differences, as certain types of endurance can be practiced. Thus, with one dose of health hazard, individuals can gradually push the boundaries.
A man without water can survive for three days.
Subsequently, complete dehydration occurs, which is usually fatal. However, we are not here to push the boundaries, but to learn how to get the elements we need, in a fun and interesting way.
Water is abundant in nature and can be found in:
- Other places. (There are more extreme sources of water that we will not be writing about)
“Any water that crosses over three stones is healthy and potable water.” – an old folk saying.
The old people used to say that any water that crosses over three stones is healthy and drinkable water.
This refers to the sources of natural water emanating from the earth, cavities in the rock and carrying all the essential minerals.
When looking for water, keep the following in mind:
- atmospheric waters (rain, melted snow …) are absorbed into the soil and due to impermeable layers, they flow in the direction of the slope of the soil and break out in some places, making sources. They are usually on slopes, ditches, rims of valleys, where there are trees and plants that require a lot of moisture (willow, reed, sage…), where the plants are more green and the vegetation is lush;
- groundwater signs are damp earth, traces that indicate that animals were digging, or a spot above which flies are hovering. There has certainly been water in such places recently, or water is near the surface. Water can also be found in the creeks of streams and rivers that dry in the summer by digging the riverbed along the edge of the protruding troughs.
- in karst terrain water should be sought in caves, sinkholes, etc.
- in mountainous terrain, in bays and ditches facing north and protected from the sun, snow can be kept long;
- rainwater and snow can serve great, and know that they become polluted only when they come in contact with objects on earth. Exceptionally in the event of war, they can still be polluted in the air.
Many times we have heard about the humidity of the air, which implies the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere and is one of the most important climate elements. The amount of precipitation depends on the humidity of the air, while in certain evening and morning temperatures (dew point), the occurrence of dew. Water can be stolen from the air in many ways and later used.
Some of the plants we can get water from are:
- Polish elm,
- Maple, etc.
Water General notes
In order to use water as rationally as possible, we need to know that its needs vary depending on the seasons (temperature) and physical activity.
Here are some general notes on how to behave in conditions where we do not have enough water at our disposal:
- drink water at regular intervals, in small quantities and slowly, keeping it as long as possible in the mouth;
- reduce the excretion of water from the body: avoid the sun and physical activity (move and work only at night);
- Avoid protein-rich foods (meat, etc.) and more spicy (hot, salty) and eat carbohydrate-rich foods and juicy foods (fruits…);
- Avoid smoking, mouth breathing and talking, and cause saliva to be chewed by chewing on an object (button, gravel, chewing gum…)
Earlier in the text we have mentioned possible sources of water in nature, but there are things that need to be taken into account. And above all, these are hygienic conditions, that is, water purity. Water can contain two types of impurities, mechanical and biological. Both impurities can negatively affect humans, but there is a “cure” for them.
Mechanical (soft) impurities are solved by simple multi-stage water filtration, that is, removal of pollution by filters of different granulation, depending on the size of the pollutant particles. Filters can be made from materials from nature.
The biological impurities that occur are in the form of the presence of various pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, amoebae, algae, parasites… Their elimination is based on boiling water or raising the water temperature to the level when these microorganisms are eliminated.
Knowing how to collect and purify water are skills that will be indispensable to all of humanity in the future because of the diminishing amounts of clean drinking water available.
Our climate is very rich in clean spring water, which unfortunately cannot be properly protected. We hope that we will not be too late to remember that without our water there is no life.
Our partner, Camp Pod Ostrog, every year organizes “Little Explorers Camp”, where children have the opportunity to learn the skills of identifying potential sources of water, collecting it and refining techniques.
Note: The children at the camp will not drink such collecting and filtered water, but the workshops will aim to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to survive in nature.
Source, Skills of survival water Kamp Pod Ostrog
Translation Camp Village